Friday, February 6, 2015

The Countdown Begins

It's fascinating how one day of the year can hold so much meaning for an individual: that one date you will never forget, the one that's imprinted into your brain. The one that changes your life forever.

February 20th is that day for me.

February 20th is the day that is going to change the rest of my life. The day I have been waiting for since the moment I was born. 21 years of waiting, wishing, wanting something more for my life. And now it's finally in my grasp. 14 days until my life is changed forever. How do you prepare for something like that?

I imagine most of you reading this already know a good portion of my life story, but in case you don't I will give you some background.

I was born with Spastic Diplegic Cerebral Palsy. My umbilical cord was wrapped around my neck around the time I was born causing me to lose oxygen to my brain. My parents didn't know something was wrong until I started to walk and they noticed I had an abnormal gait. They took me to doctors who told them it was a toddler walk and I would outgrow it. Unfortunately, I did not.

There is no cure for Cerebral Palsy so at that point in time, the only thing we could try to do was make a better quality of life for myself and improve my gait. I began physical therapy at the age of three and started to wear leg braces. Which I absolutely hated. Although I did have a pretty cool pair with Bugs and Lola Bunny on the back.

I always knew growing up that I was different. The braces gave it away, I had to go to physical therapy twice a week after school, I couldn't participate in gym class like everyone else could. I felt like an outsider at times. My family really pushed me to prove myself though. They wouldn't allow me to feel sorry for myself and made me realize I can do just as much as anyone else could. Growing up in small town Iowa also helped. I went to school with the same people from Kindergarten through graduation. Everyone knew who I was and accepted me for who I was, never allowing me to feel like an outcast.

Fast forward to my freshman year of college. I began seeing a doctor who specialized in neurologic disorders. We discussed treatment options for me to help with the effects of CP. We decided Botox injections were a great option. At the time I didn't want anything invasive and shots were quick. Painful, but quick. The Botox was intended to weaken my calf muscles since they were so contractured. It definitely helped. I didn't drag my feet as much which has always been a problem for me (and my parents who had to buy me countless pairs of shoes).

One day, about a year ago, I stumbled across an article on Facebook from a woman who had a Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy done as an adult and had amazing results. I had never heard of the surgery so I googled it and all the qualifications for the surgery fit me perfectly. I researched it for hours and hours, so excited that there might be something out there that could really help. The next time I received Botox injections I asked my doctor about the surgery. She thought it was something to look into so she referred me up to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN to talk to the team up there.

More about the surgery here --> http://www.stlouischildrens.org/our-services/center-cerebral-palsy-spasticity/about-selective-dorsal-rhizotomy-sdr

And that's when things started happening so quickly. I met with the rehab doctor, the neurosurgeon, physical therapists, occupational therapists, social workers, participated in a gait lab, and had an MRI. After this, the team decided I was a great fit for the surgery and it was scheduled!

Insurance was a nightmare to deal with but we eventually got it squared away. I started a GoFundMe page and we had a couple fundraisers to help with the mounting hospital bills.

AND NOW IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!! I can't believe it. It's so surreal.

I'm beginning to get so unbelievably nervous. I began taking my Neurontin (a pill that will help with nerve pain after surgery) and that's when it really hit me that it was coming up much faster than I thought.

I am going to try to keep this blog updated because 1) many people have asked me to keep them updated and this is probably the easiest way to go about it and 2) I want to make a blog for other people with CP who may be interested in getting the surgery. In all my research I found the most beneficial sites that I found were the ones written by people who lived through the experience and could tell you firsthand what to expect.

I vow to write to you the real, intense, emotional rollercoaster I'm about to experience. I won't sugarcoat it. There will be good days, there will be bad days. And I want you all to be a part of it.

Thank you all for the never-ending support and outpouring of love. I am eternally grateful for each and every one of you.

I want to write so much more but this is a novel already. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Until next time.

XOXO,

Bree 


1 comment:

  1. Wishing you all the best and can't wait to read all your updates. Starting now I will keep you in prayer and thoughts throughout my days. You are one brave lady and I admire you. Good luck Bree <3

    ReplyDelete